[GE users] Emailing users their usage statistics

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Mon Nov 15 16:14:26 GMT 2004

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 03:07:14PM -0000, aaron at cs.york.ac.uk wrote:
> Deark Kirk,
>
> > The way I handled the issue of re-using job requirements was to implement
> > framework of job classes using a submission script.
>
> In a sense, meta-queues, by the sound of it.
>
> The question I have to think about is whether adding an extra possible
> layer will confuse users more or less than the current system! I am
> familiar with how it works so it isn't always easy for me to tell how
> complex a system is to use, and we rely on users who are having problems
> to ask us questions to determine if a system is too complex when actually
> in production. Training, of course, solves some of these issues, but only
> if users turn up! If you have any feedback from your users on how they
> found this set up that would be interesting.

Actually, the original reason I came up with the submission script was to lessen the
confusion of job submission.   We originally used LSF at our shop and we had a large
number of queues.  Over time, queues were added to satisfy users demands for a simple
configuration they could better understand.

Job resources were specified at the queue level so that users could just submit to
a familiar job based queue.  So, your "meta queue" label fits. :-)

I used the wrapper script to roll out SGE.  I used a small group of expert users who
crafted the definitions for each of their groups to use.  My take on things was an
assumption that the engineers were not interested in learning the intricacies of
job submission.

The wrapper script has worked quite well.  I have had zero complaints, and the migration from
LSF to SGE has been very smooth using it.

I guess the only way to get a better feel is to try it.  If it does not look like something that
fits your environment, then you can always come up with something that fits better.  If it
does work out, then you have saved yourself some time. :-)

If you do end up using it.  I am interested in any feedback you may have.

Kirk

> One of the side advantages I can see is that other things could possibly
> be hidden within the scripts (TOG, file transfer, etc).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Aaron Turner, White Rose Grid (York)

Kirk Patton
Unix Administrator