[GE users] howto: command-line methods for department based resource allocation in SGE6

Stephan Grell stephan.grell at sun.com
Tue Nov 16 09:10:35 GMT 2004

Hello Chris,

your howto is a nice introduction for the fair scheduling policy. But
you overlooked the
weight_* parameters. In you described setting a "qsub -p 1000" or or a
"qsub -pe make 10"
will invert you fair scheduling policy. If your scheduling should only
be based on the
functional tickets, you need to set:

weight_ticket                     1.0000
weight_waiting_time               0.000000
weight_deadline                   3600000.000000
weight_urgency                    0.00000
weight_priority                   0.000000

If you want to support the posix priority and/or urgency, their weight values
have to be a lot smaller, than the weight_ticket. Such as:

weight_ticket                     10.0000
weight_waiting_time               0.000000
weight_deadline                   3600000.000000
weight_urgency                    0.01000
weight_priority                   0.010000

This allows a user to set the priorities within his jobs and he will not
exceed his percentage from the ticket setup.

The weight parameters are difficult to handle and can completely
compromise the ticket configuration.

Stephan