[GE users] reserved ports in SGE 6.0

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Nov 22 15:00:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 05:22, Andy Schwierskott wrote:

> I agree - there an overhead but I think in terms of additional security you
> can achieve it should be worth the effort for any site which needs to
> address security related challenges.

>From what I saw reading through the docs, with CSP each user has to have
access to their certificates.  Which means that unless you're using a
filesystem such as NFSv4, all someone has to do after becoming root is
su to the user and have access as them on the SGE system.  Or with the
reserve port system, used their hacked binaries.  In this case, CSP
almost seems simpler to hack.

Since there is no good NFSv4 client support that I know of right now,
that means  the only thing CSP seems to be protecting against is if
someone brought a different machine onto your private LAN (although if
you're using NFSv3, they could then hijack an IP and still get access to
the needed files).

I may be missing something, but right now I'm not seeing CSP as having
large benefits over reserved ports.

> On our mid-term (hopefully not long term) roadmap we want to have a better
> integration with existing security infrastructures (based on LDAP). This
> will allow a site to reuse the certificates without the need for setting up
> a "shadow" certificate infrastructure which onyl can be uses by Grid Engine.

That is interesting.  Although as you do that, I'd ask that you please
keep in mind that many users don't have "outside" network access for
their compute nodes.  This already causes a problem because SGE likes to
email users from compute nodes instead of the head node, and I'd hate to
see another SGE feature where this setup causes a problem.

Thanks,

Sean