[GE users] one node keeps going into error state

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 23 18:11:59 GMT 2004

> But if execd is run as sgeadm, then normal users can't run any jobs, since
> sgeadm can't switch the uid to another user.

It does seem odd, and I've never understood how it works.  Yet
apparently it works ok on linux, and up until yesterday, it worked
on Solaris too.

%# on host monkey01
% ps -ef | grep sge
root     23535     1  0 Nov22 ?        00:00:01
/usr/SGE/bin/glinux/sge_commd -a /usr/SGE/default/common/host_aliases
sgeadm   23545     1  0 Nov22 ?        00:00:00
/usr/SGE/bin/glinux/sge_execd -nostart-commd

%# on host mendel as a normal user:
% qsub -q monkey01.q showinfo.sh
your job 4353 ("showinfo.sh") has been submitted
% cat showinfo.sh.o4353
node monkey01.cluster at Tue Nov 23 10:04:43 PST 2004

A second script containing a "whoami" showed the normal user name
and not sgeadm.  So the queue system does seem to be running
the job as the submitting user and not as sgeadm (or root). This
even though there are no suid bits set in the SGE/bin directories.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu