[GE users] one node keeps going into error state

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 23 23:48:57 GMT 2004

Found it.

Mandrake runs something called "msec" which is
set at the most secure level (5). It decided that /usr/SGE should
be set to chmod 711.  The problem is, SGE doesn't run correctly
when that's true, giving all the strange errors I've been ranting
about today.  After changing the config file so that it would leave
/usr/SGE at 755 qsub is working once again.  What's really odd is
that it ever worked at all, apparently the old 5.3p2 we were running
wasn't quite as sensitive to this problem.

It would be really nice if there was some sanity checking for this sort
of thing in the startup scripts, since within the SGE programs
there seem to be some fairly deep assumptions about the protections
on the SGE_ROOT directory.

Thanks for everybody's help.

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu