[GE users] SGE 6.0u1: job name cannot start with a digit??

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com
Wed Nov 24 12:12:15 GMT 2004

> For qrsh jobs the current job name checking seems to be broken. There's no
> clear definition what SGE should take by default for a qrsh job name, but
> the current behavior is kind of funny.
>
> I think what SGE should do is the following: take everything up to the
> first
> whitespace or semicolon and from that string take the basename.
>
> Command line                       jobname
> "cd /home/me/5five; hostname" --> cd
> "/home/me/4Ujob"              --> 4Ujob (invalid)
> "cat /tmp/5five"              --> cat
> "bla;blub"                    --> bla
> "a b"                         --> a
>
> Could you please file an issue?

The current behaviour is indeed funny.
eg,
	qrsh "(cd /data/local && hostname)"

results in the file(s)

	~/local && hostname).e743
	~/local && hostname).o743

Perhaps something as banal as "~/QRSH" (analogue to the qlogin behaviour)
would be a cheap/reasonable solution that also permits easy cleanup of these
output files at a later date.

It would, however, be nice to have a '-o' option for qrsh/qlogin for more
control (eg, -o /dev/null could be a popular choice)

/mark