[GE users] monitoring spawned processes

Jeroen Kleijer jeroen.kleijer at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 25 18:50:14 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm running into a problem when I try to submit an Abaqus job with SGE.
I can start an Abaqus job with either qrsh or qsub and it gets submitted
to one of our compute servers fine. On the compute server a process
"abq641" gets started and after 5-10 seconds it spawns a number of
processes (Python, pre.x, whatever) and the "abq641" process ends, thereby
ending the job as well even though there are still processes running in the
background doing all kinds of calculations.

When I run qstat the abaqus job (abq641) has finished but our compute
nodes are still happily running the spawned processes but we have no
idea these jobs are still running untill we login on our servers and
check this by hand.

Is there any way for SGE to track these kind of spawned processes?

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen Kleijer