[GE users] many sge_qmaster (Redhat SGE6.0u1)

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Sat Nov 27 16:16:58 GMT 2004

>OS: Redhat 7.2 kanel 2.4
>
> If I kill sge_qmaster (11382), all of sge_qmasters is killed.
> But I kill sge_qmaster (11383), the sge_qmaster is not killed
> and will be zombie process.

This is in general a problem of a multi-threaded (like the qmaster) application with LinuxThreads:

"GNU LinuxThreads are visible using the ps command line utility, and each thread, or process, uses one entry in the kernel's process table, generally limited to 512 processes."

(http://www.roguewave.com/support/docs/sourcepro/threadspl/4-4.html)

Note that newer Linux kernels (2.6.x) use a different thread implementation, and you will see only 1 process for a multi-threaded application.

>I can’t submit jobs from qmon with below error messages
>
>Name: submit_message
>
>Class: XmtMsgLine
>
>XmTextInsertWcs: not implementd

If you have another machine with a different OS running X, then add that machine as submit host, and try to use qmon to submit a job on that machine. I think the problem with qmon that you are seeing is related to the X implementation on Redhat 7.2.

Rayson