[GE users] Only root can submit jobs

Christian Bolliger christian.bolliger at id.unizh.ch
Sun Nov 28 21:09:05 GMT 2004

Hi Rayson

Thanks for help I found the problem myself, it somtimes helps to
verbalize it:
sge_execd needs set-user-id set!

I'll submit a bug report.

I just answer the question for the archive:
Rayson Ho wrote:

>1) What OS are you using??

SuSE Linux 9.2 on AMD64

>2) Did you try the pre-compiled binary??

There are none for lx26_amd64  (esp. not for 6.0u2 which is cutting edge)

>3) Anything in the execd log??

No.

>4) Is the user configured on that machine and the home directory there??

Yep..

>5) Did you setup any prolog??

No

>6) Is the job actually started??
>You can logon to the machine, and do a ptree (or use ps to get the process
>tree yourself), see if the execd has started the shepherd at that point,
>and also check if the job script is running...

No, since it couldn't write the error file.

Christian Bolliger
IT Services                      | http://www.id.unizh.ch/
Central Systems / HPC   	 | http://www.matterhorn.unizh.ch/
University of  Zuerich           | E-Mail: christian.bolliger at id.unizh.ch
Winterthurerstr. 190             | Tel: +41 (0)1 63 56775
CH-8057 Zuerich; Switzerland     | Fax: +41 (0)1 63 54505
Mime/S CA:                https://www.ca.unizh.ch/client/