[GE users] order of filling the queue?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Oct 1 23:22:07 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 22:27, Don Shesnicky wrote:

> Is there a way to define which hosts or groups of hosts will be used
> first, for instance I have a group of hosts - analog, digital and
> rental.
> We would like the analog user's queue to start filling the analog
> hosts, then the rentals and finally the digitals. For the digital
> users,
> it would be the reverse.

You can define a seq_no, and use a queue_sort_method of seq_no.

But that's not on a per-user basis.
Gridengine is a scheduler - it tries to allocate jobs the resources
which they need to run, on as fair a basis as possible.
To split up hosts into tranches which 'belong' to different groups of
users is IMHO wrong. compute resources go into a big pool. Let
Gridengine look after fairshare usage over a period of time.