[GE users] qsub and binary submissions

Mon Oct 4 09:29:26 BST 2004

Binary submission works ok for me:

%    qsub -cwd -b y /usr/bin/echo "this is" "a test"

Your job 2119 ("echo") has been submitted.

%    qstat

job-ID  prior   name       user         state submit/start at     queue                          slots ja-task-ID

   2119 0.00000 echo       dant         qw    10/04/2004 10:23:53                                    1

%    qstat

job-ID  prior   name       user         state submit/start at     queue                          slots ja-task-ID

   2119 0.56000 echo       dant         t     10/04/2004 10:24:08 all.q at balin                        1

%    qstat

%    cat echo.o2119

this is a test

The next step would be to try your qsub again, but use /usr/bin/echo
instead of your binary to see that everything is translating correctly.
Another thing to try would be using /usr/bin/file or /usr/bin/cat
instead of your binary so you can make sure that the required files are
where they're supposed to be on the execution host and are readable.

Daniel

John Coldrick wrote:

>	I'm trying to submit a binary to SGE 6, and it's working on the most basic
>level, but I can't seem to get SGE to feed it the script I want the binary to
>run.
>
>	1. Binary program is "foo".  Syntax for submission is:
>
>		foo bar fuss.cmd
>
>	where bar is a binary file containing data, and fuss.cmd is a scripting file
>which will perform actions on bar.  Something like feeding a program file to
>awk, but this program doesn't have a "-f" flag  - you simply follow it with
>the data and the script.
>
>	2.   I'm submitting with:
>
>	qsub -b y foo bar fuss.cmd
>
>	3.  The result is that the program "foo" seems to run just fine, but
>examining the out files shows that it doesn't appear to be getting the
>fuss.cmd file - and possibly not the "bar" either.  Oh - I'm giving absolute
>paths to everything, just to be safe.
>
>	I'm having a hard time finding much documentation on submitting binaries in
>v6 - and it works - but I just need a hand on how to get the whole "foo bar
>fuss.cmd" to be sent at once.  Nope, quotes don't work...;)
>
>	Thanks!
>
>	J.C.

*          Daniel Templeton   ERGB01 x60220           *
*         Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine          *
*    "Camera one closes in, the soundtrack starts,    *
*     The scene begins.  You're playing you now."     *
*                -Josh Joplin Group, "Camera One"     *