[GE users] Automated installations of execution hosts

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Oct 7 20:15:24 BST 2004

I'll try to braindump my automated installation debugging hints here:

General stuff:

You need to have some method of rsh or ssh based passwordless access to
all your systems. This should be tested before hand.

The "./inst-sge -m|-x -auto" install-via-template process does not
generate much (if any) useable output. The fact is, if everything works
perfectly your screen will go blank for a few seconds before returning
you to the command prompt with no output whatsoever.

If you run the installer and get a blank screen for more than 1-2
seconds then the installer is actually doing *something*. If you run the
installer and instantly get dropped back to a command-prompt then it
absolutly failed in some severe manner.

First level debugging:

The installer writes stdout and maybe stderr to a file called
"/tmp/install.<pid>" when you run it. Each time you run the installation
script a new install output file is created.

I found it helpful to have 2 windows open when testing the install. The
first window is where you run the ./inst_sge command. The 2nd window is
where you do a "tail -f ./install.<pid>" so you can see the output in
real time.

About 50% of the time the output in the /tmp/install.xxx file is useful.
The other 50% of the time more extreme debugging is needed.

If you can't find a file in /tmp called "install.<pid>" then look in
your root volume and in the directory in which you first ran ./inst_sge.

If you get partially though the process of installation -- to the point
where SGE daemons were started up you may want to look in /tmp/ for
files called "/tmp/sge_messages", "/tmp/schedd_messages" and
"/tmp/execd_messages"

Extreme debugging:

Edit the ./inst_sge script to add a "-x" switch before the 1st "/bin/sh"
line. This will turn on verbose output -- almost too verbose to handle
but sometimes it is the only way.

It also helps when installing exec hosts to login to the exec host
system and poke around in /tmp/ for output left by sge daemons or the
installer script.

-Chris

Bernard Li wrote:

> Hey Andy:
>
> Let me know if you have any luck with the auto-installation, as I am
> struggling with it myself ;-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bernard

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net