[GE users] Overlapping Cells?

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Oct 8 16:13:29 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 02:33, Melvin Koh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just like to find out if anyone has actually tried to deploy 2 different
> overlapping cells? This would mean that some hosts will have 2 sge_execd
> running, so will there be conflicts?

I've not actually tried it, but I have considered it.  There are a
couple things you would almost certainly have to do.

1) You'd need a unified UID scheme across both cells, otherwise you
could get some permission weirdness on the exec host.
2) You'd need different spool dirs for the execd's.  This is defined in
$SGE_ROOT/$CELL/configuration, so you shouldn't have too much of a
problem with that.

Someone suggested making sure the combined slot count doesn't go too
high.  You could do that, or you could set low load_thresholds so that
each cell could fully utilize the box, and the other cell would have
that box in an alarm state.