[GE users] v6_u1 auto-installation, IPMP

Jason Crane Jason.Crane at mrsc.ucsf.edu
Fri Oct 8 22:52:39 BST 2004

Hi,

We are running into a couple problems with the v6_u1
auto-installation procedures:

The first is related to IP multi-pathing (IPMP) on our
master node which seemed to be causing the exec node
installations to fail for random exec hosts.  We seem to be
able to get around this by:
    - auto-installing only the master node, then
    - creating a host_aliases file under the default cell
      (default/commmon/host_aliases)
    - bouncing the master daemons (/etc/init.d/sgemaster
      stop/start)
    - run the exec node installations.

However, before the host_aliases is configured for IPMP, not
all of the entries in the "ADMIN_HOST_LIST" variable get
configured as admin hosts so this needs to be done manually
before running the exec node installation.  Is there any way
to get the installation scripts to understand IPMP to begin
with, or is there any way to configure host_aliases on the
fly without restarting all the daemons?

The second issues is that although the exec node
installation goes well on Solaris nodes, for Linux nodes we
get (from the log file in /tmp/install.pid):

    remote installation on host linux_host.domain.org
    TERM environment variable not set.

We've already tried to set the TERM variable inside
inst_sge, but to no avail.  Has anyone else encountered
this and already found a solution?

Thanks much in advance for any advice,
Jason