[GE users] Using customized PE + qrsh

Melvin Koh melvin at apstc.sun.com.sg
Thu Oct 14 02:34:37 BST 2004

Hi all,

There is this in-house parallel application that uses it's own message
passing protocol. Since we wanted to use the PE's allocation rule, I've
integrated it to SGE using a mpich PE, with the same startmpi.sh and
stopmpi.sh, and in my submit script, I obtain the allocated hosts for the
PE from the machine file, and do "qrsh -inherit $host cmd &" to all the
hosts.

My question is that will this be a tight-integration? In my tests, all
resource usage are recorded, all tasks are canceled using qdel, but
suspend does not work. Is it that the application has to suspend itself
base on some signals from SGE?

Melvin Koh Chee Kian
Grid Research Engineer
Asia Pacific Science & Technology Center
Sun Microsystems Inc.
Website: http://apstc.sun.com.sg/