[GE users] qresub / scheduling of long jobs revisited

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Oct 14 20:00:24 BST 2004

> So qresub was suggested as a mechanism for breaking up long jobs that are
> iterative, into a bunch of smaller jobs.

yes - no! It can be used in such a way. But another application will be the
usage of checkpointing your job, and using qresub to continue where you stopped
during the next run.

I hope to find the time soon to finish my Howto of using the checkpointing
interfaces and how to build it into your application.

> This was a proposed method for dealing with when a large number of jobs are
> submitted with a long duration, and keep the job slots busy for a lengthy
> time keeping the slots from becoming available for the other users' job
> waiting in the queue.

For this I would use two different queues. The only problem may be, that
suspended jobs a still use the resources.

Cheers - Reuti