[GE users] Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH (was: Re: [GE users] LD_LIBRARY_PATH network issues)

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Fri Oct 15 15:23:17 BST 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Alan Barclay wrote:

> One caveat here is that before you touch anything to do with the
> std C library, be sure you have /sbin/sash installed on your system
> so that you can recover in the event that the regular system cmds
> do not work because ldconfig changed the link to point to an incompatible
> library version.

I found a solution for Solaris how to get rid of the requirement to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH which can cause unwanted additional NFS load. I'm not sure
but I can imagine that the "ld.so.config" file on Linux provides a similar
flexibility. The nice thing about crle is that you can specify individual
binaries for which you want to configure additional directories for
searching dynamic libs!

The command on Solaris is called "crle". It's intended to configure runtime
linking environment and it can fully replace the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.
It's available from Solaris 7 and works for 32 and 64 bit binaries seperately.

ATTENTION: use this command with care! You have a chance to screw up your
system if you destroy an existing cache file with silly settings. Use the
"-c" option to write the config into an alternate config file and use the
variable "LD_CONFIG" to point to this alternate file when trying what you've
done. Read crle(1);-)

"crle" understands many options. I'm describing here a command line which
makes it possible to start a 64-bit qmon successfully without setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

   % crle -64
     --> print current settings (usually empty)

   % crle -v -64 -I /my/sge/root/bin/sol-sparc64/qmon \
                 -u -l /my/sge/root/lib/sol-sparc64
     -> verbosely (-v) add (-u) for 64bit objects (-64) for the qmon binary (-I)
        the given path (-l)

The file /var/ld/64/ld.config will be changes or created after issuing
this command. Entering "crle -64" again will print the new settings.

I have not tested how it works with using SGE's ssl security (especially
together with the qrsh command which is a SUID binary).

Andy

> Göran Uddeborg wrote:
>
>> Andy Schwierskott writes:
>>
>>> I see the point but I also see that Linux has a very complex logic here.
>>>
>>> Are there some means of registering the SGE shared libs with the system
>>> that
>>> it gets registered in /etc/ld.so.cache to get rid of.
>>>

>> Well, you can put a directory in /etc/ld.so.conf, and rerun ldconfig.
>> It's something like that you mean, right?

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]