AW: [GE users] resource allocation and race condition

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com
Fri Oct 15 16:19:41 BST 2004

> > Assuming that I only have a single float license 'foo', I can
> > 'qsub -l foo=1' a job.  After a while I submit two (2) new jobs with the
> > same resource requirement(s). Both these jobs wait politely in the
> queue,
> > since the resource 'foo' is unavailable.  After the first job finishes,
> and
> > the load reports get correctly updated, *both* of the jobs in the queue
> try
> > to grab the 'foo' resource (almost) simultaneously.
> > How can I circumvent such a race condition?
>
> Could you use a SGE consumable in addition to your load sensor? - Reuti

Based on what I can read from host_conf(5) about 'complex_values', I'd have
to alter the load sensor so that it only tracks non-SGE license use rather
than reporting the number of licenses currently available for use.

This means that the load sensor needs to distinguish between applications
that were started with/without SGE. If accomplished, this would make the
load sensor anything other than lightweight.

Is there a direct way, or a backdoor, to determine how many resources SGE
believes are still free and/or have been allocated?  Perhaps this could be a
means of adjusting the load sensor values.

/mark

Dr. Mark Olesen
Thermofluid Dynamics Analyst
ArvinMeritor Light Vehicle Systems
ArvinMeritor Emissions Technologies GmbH
Biberbachstr. 9
D-86154 Augsburg, GERMANY
tel: +49 (821) 4103 - 862
fax: +49 (821) 4103 - 7862