[GE users] Getting rid of LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Oct 15 16:49:24 BST 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Andy Schwierskott wrote:

> I found a solution for Solaris how to get rid of the requirement to set
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH which can cause unwanted additional NFS load. I'm not sure
> but I can imagine that the "ld.so.config" file on Linux provides a similar
> flexibility.

Similar, but not quite the same... See below.

> The nice thing about crle is that you can specify individual
> binaries for which you want to configure additional directories for
> searching dynamic libs!

To my knowledge, this is not possible with ld.so.conf. All binaries
get the same list of dynamic libraries.

> The command on Solaris is called "crle". It's intended to configure runtime
> linking environment and it can fully replace the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable.

I didn't understand clearly if this is supposed to be executed once
when installing SGE or for every job. Modifying ld.so.conf is supposed
to happen only manually by the admin or by installation scripts. After
the modification is made, 'ldconfig' has to be run - this builds
ld.so.cache which is actually used by ld.so at runtime. Due to this
and the fact that it affects all binaries the same way, it's really
not intended to be modified for each job.
Another aspect is the order of directories. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
sure to make the SGE directory the first to be looked at. Putting the
SGE directory at one time in the ld.so.conf file doesn't give the same
guarantee, as the file can be modified afterwards...

> I have not tested how it works with using SGE's ssl security (especially
> together with the qrsh command which is a SUID binary).

On Linux, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is neglected for SUID binaries. I believe
that ld.so.conf entries are not neglected.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868