AW: [GE users] resource allocation and race condition

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Oct 15 17:29:15 BST 2004

Assuming you have a flexlm license server responsible for your floating
license then this HTML page I wrote a while back may be helpful (no
promises though!)

http://bioteam.net/dag/sge-flexlm-integration/

Basically SGE does not have to track non-cluster license checkouts if it
can accuratly query the license server itself to constantly learn the
number of available free tokens.

Regards,
Chris

Olesen, Mark wrote:

>>>Assuming that I only have a single float license 'foo', I can
>>>'qsub -l foo=1' a job.  After a while I submit two (2) new jobs with the
>>>same resource requirement(s). Both these jobs wait politely in the
>>
>>queue,
>>
>>>since the resource 'foo' is unavailable.  After the first job finishes,
>>
>>and
>>
>>>the load reports get correctly updated, *both* of the jobs in the queue
>>
>>try
>>
>>>to grab the 'foo' resource (almost) simultaneously.
>>>How can I circumvent such a race condition?
>>
>>Could you use a SGE consumable in addition to your load sensor? - Reuti
>

> Based on what I can read from host_conf(5) about 'complex_values', I'd have
> to alter the load sensor so that it only tracks non-SGE license use rather
> than reporting the number of licenses currently available for use.
>
> This means that the load sensor needs to distinguish between applications
> that were started with/without SGE. If accomplished, this would make the
> load sensor anything other than lightweight.
>
> Is there a direct way, or a backdoor, to determine how many resources SGE
> believes are still free and/or have been allocated?  Perhaps this could be a
> means of adjusting the load sensor values.
>
> /mark
>
> Dr. Mark Olesen
> Thermofluid Dynamics Analyst
> ArvinMeritor Light Vehicle Systems
> ArvinMeritor Emissions Technologies GmbH
> Biberbachstr. 9
> D-86154 Augsburg, GERMANY
> tel: +49 (821) 4103 - 862
> fax: +49 (821) 4103 - 7862
> Mark.Olesen at ArvinMeritor.com

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net