[GE users] Machine Priority

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Tue Oct 19 15:22:20 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 09:58, Reuti wrote:
> > I have a cluster running SGE 6.0  This cluster consists of a mixture of
> > 1Ghz, 2Ghz, and 3Ghz machines.  Is there a way to ensure that the 3Ghz
> > machines are always used first out of the pool of open resources?
>
> You can set a different sequence number for each type of machine and
> change the scheduler to sort by seqno (qconf -msconf). This will give
> the intended result (for serial jobs).
>
> For simpleness I suggest defining three hostgroups. Then you can set:

I have an almost identical problem to the original poster.  I had
considered this, but from what I can tell, it means that load average
will no longer be taken into account (except for alarm states) when
scheduling jobs.  This seems like a bad thing to me.

I've also considered the load scaling.  Unfortunately, not matter what
scaling you do, a load of 0.00 will always scale to a load of 0.00, and
this doesn't help the problem any.

Does anyone have a better way to do this?  Perhaps somehow add a
constant to the generated load of each host based on processor speed?