[GE users] Machine Priority

Terry Lalonde tlalonde at potentiasemi.com
Tue Oct 19 15:39:29 BST 2004

>>> Does anyone have a better way to do this?  Perhaps somehow add a
>>> constant to the generated load of each host based on processor
speed?

That's essentially what I did.  I wrote a load monitor and added a
load to machine of different class.  It works OK.
We also have desktop machines on the grid and I also wanted to avoid
using them as much as possible so I biased their load using this too:

I set the load formula to: np_load_average*1+isdesktop*1

#!/bin/perl
$| = 1;

while(<>) {

        if( $_ =~ /^quit$/ ) {
                exit 0;
        }
        chop($hostname = `hostname`);
        $_ = $hostname;
        print "begin\n";
CASE: {
        (($hostname =~ /^ws-[1-9]*/) || ($hostname =~ /^grid/)) && do {
            print "$hostname:isdesktop:2.50\n";
            last CASE;
         };

        ($hostname =~ /^ws.*/) && do {
            print "$hostname:isdesktop:3.00\n";
            last CASE;
         };

        ($hostname =~ /^wx.*/) && do {
            print "$hostname:isdesktop:1.50\n";
            last CASE;
         };

        (($hostname =~ /^stimp*/) || ($hostname =~ /^ren*/)) && do {
            print "$hostname:isdesktop:0.50\n";
            last CASE;
         };

        print "$hostname:isdesktop:0.00\n";