[GE users] Queue usage - stopping standard jobs landing on Linux Athlon 64 b it machines

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Oct 22 17:14:24 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 17:05, Paul Lyons wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a mixture of machines and recently installed some Opteron
> systems..
>
> How can we configure SGE so that..
>
> 1. Standard jobs do not run on the Opteron 64 bit machines, as not all
> the tools have 64 bit binaries
> 2. We still want jobs that would run on a 64 bit machine to run on the
> other hosts as well

My solution would be to have two hostgroups,
@32bithosts, @opterons

Use two queues, all.q and  opteron.q (or whatever)
all.q has
hostlist  @32bithosts, at opterons

opteron.q has
hostlist @opterons

I've set up similar for a cluster of mixed Myrinet and non-Myrinet
equipped nodes.
And in the case of the all.q you might want to make the seq_no of the
opteron hostlist higher, so as to have a preference for running 32 bit
codes ont he 32 bit machines.