[GE users] Queue usage - stopping standard jobs landing on Linux Athlon 64 b it machines

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Fri Oct 22 17:22:58 BST 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 05:05:12PM +0100, Paul Lyons wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    We have a mixture of machines and recently installed some Opteron
>    systems..
>
>    How can we configure SGE so that..
>
>    1. Standard jobs do not run on the Opteron 64 bit machines, as not all the
>    tools have 64 bit binaries
>    2. We still want jobs that would run on a 64 bit machine to run on the
>    other hosts as well
>
>    Thanks,
>    Paul

The way I worked it at my site was to create a host complex named 'bitsize'.
For any hosts added to the cluster, I run a script that probes them for
site specific values, like bitsize, and sets them for each host.

Once that is done, you can request which type of host your job runs on by
using '-l bitsize=value'.  You could further refine this by setting the
default bitsize to the desired value in $SGE_ROOT/common/sge_request file.
Then, when someone needs the less frequent or special case, they specifiy
'-l bitsize=value'.

Kirk

--
Kirk Patton