[GE users] Machine Priority

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Mon Oct 25 10:51:44 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 14:58, Reuti wrote:
> > I have a cluster running SGE 6.0  This cluster consists of a mixture of
> > 1Ghz, 2Ghz, and 3Ghz machines.  Is there a way to ensure that the 3Ghz
> > machines are always used first out of the pool of open resources?
>
> You can set a different sequence number for each type of machine and
> change the scheduler to sort by seqno (qconf -msconf). This will give
> the intended result (for serial jobs).
>
> For simpleness I suggest defining three hostgroups. Then you can set:
>
> seq_no                0,[@type3=50],[@type2=100],[@type1=150]

Sorry to revive this thread.

How is the formula set which uses seq_num and the load average to
determine which exec host to dispatch a job to?
I'd like to give some reasonable numbers to seq_no for a cluster with
two groups of machines.

Also could I ask again what the best way of configuring parallel jobs in
this situation is?
The cluster has 47 exec hosts. 16 hosts have Myrinet.
The desired behaviour is that normal jobs which do not require Myrinet
are run on the non-Myrinet hosts in preference, but can be run on the
Myrinet hosts if all 31 of them are full.