[GE users] SGE-6.0: How to achieve increasing and decreasing seq_no?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Oct 27 14:40:45 BST 2004

Hi,

Erik Soyez wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> with SGE-5.3 I used to configure clusters with e.g. increasing seq_no for
> a "normal" queue and decreasing seq_no for an "express" queue in order to
> keep parallel jobs stick together and keep express and normal jobs as far
> away from each other as long as possible.  That was pretty easy with a
> script that just added up seq_no when modifying queues.

there will hardly be a difference, where the jobs are running in the
cluster. If you want a cleaner output with qstat, you could use a script
to make a qstat two times, and select only each type of queue.

Are you using dual CPU machines? In this case having this setup would
fill one machine after the other. Because there is always an overhead
running 2 jobs on one machine, it will a little bit faster to fill first
one slot on each machine.

Cheers - Reuti