[GE users] Re: SGE6 and libdb-4.2.so

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Wed Oct 27 16:59:05 BST 2004

	Sorry to bring this up again - a little more investigation...

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 22:08, Reuti (reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de) wrote:

> seems that the exact version is not included in the name - it's v4.2.52. So,
> be on the safe side I would suggest to download the latest version from
> sleepycat.com and use this for both programs.

	Well, I can't really do that because for db there's two major distributions -
the older 1.x and the more recent.  I'll admit to not being very db-savvy,
but it seems many programs expect one or the other version, and SUSE deals
with this by having specifically named .so's.  We have several programs,
including subversion, that expect a particular version based on using a
certain name(in this case, the same name as SGE's - but I suspect internally
it's a subtely different version as you suggest), and we have different
kernels here so I can't cheat by stuffing .so's all over the place.

	So I guess the question now is this: I'm currently hacking the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to put the SGE lib at the end, which works - is this likely
the best hack to all this?  I can't do it on older, RH7.3 systems since they
will need that SGE release in order to run(they don't have their own at that
version), but this seems really messy, and I'm wondering since db is fairly
commonly used, could there be a better way of distributing this and
integrating it into the libpath?

	Thanks

	J.C.

Houdini/Renderman/Discreet                           425 Adelaide St W
416-504-0425                                         Toronto, ON Canada
The very ink with which all history is written is merely fluid
prejudice.
		-- Mark Twain