[GE users] Re: SGE6 and libdb-4.2.so

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Oct 27 17:39:41 BST 2004

Hi,

John Coldrick wrote:
<snip>

> 	Well, I can't really do that because for db there's two major distributions -
> the older 1.x and the more recent.  I'll admit to not being very db-savvy,
> but it seems many programs expect one or the other version, and SUSE deals
> with this by having specifically named .so's.  We have several programs,
> including subversion, that expect a particular version based on using a
> certain name(in this case, the same name as SGE's - but I suspect internally
> it's a subtely different version as you suggest), and we have different
> kernels here so I can't cheat by stuffing .so's all over the place.
>
> 	So I guess the question now is this: I'm currently hacking the
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to put the SGE lib at the end, which works - is this likely
> the best hack to all this?  I can't do it on older, RH7.3 systems since they
> will need that SGE release in order to run(they don't have their own at that
> version), but this seems really messy, and I'm wondering since db is fairly
> commonly used, could there be a better way of distributing this and
> integrating it into the libpath?

to deal with such situations, I usually write a wrapper for the used
programs - for you this would be Subversion or what you use. So, the
default could be to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to access the one from SGE,
hence in front of the path, the wrapper for Subversion would remove this
with a command like:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH | tr : "\012" | grep -v
/usr/sge | tr "\012" :`

(Replace with your path to SGE, taken from rsh wrapper of SGE)

Cheers - Reuti