[GE users] Mac OS X inst_sge -x does not install init script

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Oct 28 18:44:00 BST 2004

Andy,

There are still unresolved issues with SGE startup on Mac OS X -- this
should be covered in the sge-users mailing list archives.

For some reason even when we have a good SystemStarter "SGE" plist file
for Apple cluster systems we still only see SGE start up properly about
50% of the time. We resort to all sorts of fallback cron jobs and other
things to keep things operating.

The key seems to be trying to start SGE at the last possible moment and
after all of the other SystemStarter items. When we recently put in a
short delay/sleep value into our starter script we started to see more
consistant behavior.

Anyway the SGE 6.0u1 code will leave behind 2 scripts that you can use
to start SGE manually or as part of some sort of homeberew SystemStarter
  process -- look for the scripts "sgemaster" and "sgeexecd" in your
$SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/ directory. Those are the official start/stop
scripts -- for other unix'ish systems those are the actual init files as
well.

-Chris

Andy Moran wrote:

> inst_sge doesn't seem to have a -rccreate flag.   When I try to use it,
> I get the usage statement instead (which doesn't include a -rccreate)
> followed by the message:
>
> The option -rccreate is not valid!
>
> This is with SGE 6.0u1.
>
> --Andy
>

> Marco Donauer wrote:
>
>>Andy,
>>
>>this is a new issue!
>>Appears it only on OS X?
>>
>>There is a option which can be used with the inst_sge script.
>>It's called -rccreate.
>>With inst_sge -rccreate you can generate the startup script from your
>>existing configuration.
>>The old startup scripts will be saved. In your case I would do a backup
>>of the startup script.
>>
>>Could you try this option, please?
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Marco
>>
>>Andy Moran wrote:
>>

>>>When I install SGE 6.0u1 on our OS X execution hosts, it asks if I want
>>>to install the init script.. I say yes.. then I get errors.    I have
>>>captured the output below.
>>>
>>>We are able to create the init scripts by hand, but it's a pain.  Is
>>>this a known issue?
>>>
>>>--Andy
>>>
>>>-----------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>execd startup script
>>>--------------------
>>>
>>>We can install the startup script that will
>>>start execd at machine boot (y/n) [y] >>
>>>
>>>cat: SGE: No such file or directory
>>>cp: SGE: No such file or directory
>>>Adding application startup to SGE
>>>
>>>Hit <RETURN> to continue >>

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net