[GE users] SIGUSR1 signal

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Sep 1 14:00:59 BST 2004

>But what is the diffenrence? If s_rt is reached, my job will be killed, too. If my job doesn?t handle the signal, it is just killed.

Think of h_rt/s_rt as "special" in the way of limits - these are just two limits. If you don't need them, you are right to let the s_rt set to
infinity. In summary:

qsub -notify -l h_rt=... and will give you USR2 and the kill command is delayed by notify-time.

qsub -l s_rt=... will send a USR1 when the time is reached (but not killed at all) (the signal is resend every around 90 sec).

If you use -l s_rt=...,h_rt=... -notify you will get both signals.

Because USR1 is by default used also for the announcement of a pending suspend of a job, you may choose to redefine it if you use s_rt=...

In the execd params: NOTIFY_KILL=none, NOTIFY_SUSP=USR2

Cheers - Reuti