[GE users] regex in complexes

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com
Thu Sep 2 10:04:01 BST 2004

Despite the explicit information from complex(5) that the only valid
operator for string type attributes is "==", I attempted to use the
following complex, in the vague hope that the documentation was too
conservative:

#name               shortcut   type        relop requestable consumable
default  urgency
-------------
license             lic        RESTRING    !=    YES         NO         NONE
0

As expected, this failed miserably.

I would like to have the functionality of a "!=" operator.
Is there an obscure workaround to give me what I want?
What would it take to have the "!=" operator added for string operations?
(Andy?).

My load sensor will report something like the following:

	machine:license:lic1+lic2+lic4

Then I could do something like 'qselect -l license=lic3' to find queues
where the license lic3 is *not* currently in use.

IMO, a very useful and flexible hack would be to disallow the '!' character
from complex names and use it to reverse the request logic,
eg,
	qselect -l arch=lx24-x86	# select linux architecture
	qselect -l arch!=lx24-x86	# select non-linux architecture(s)

Regards,
/mark

Dr. Mark Olesen
Thermofluid Dynamics Analyst