[GE users] Another shell for qtcsh

Shannon V. Davidson svdavidson at swbell.net
Thu Sep 2 22:27:49 BST 2004

John,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to change qtcsh to use a different
shell such as bash.  The qtcsh program is based on a version of tcsh.
The tcsh source code has been modified to be "grid-engine-enabled".  The
same thing could be done for bash, but this would require a development
effort by someone.

Shannon

John Ross wrote:

>I would like to avoid using qsh if possible however.
>
>I know I can put an entire login session into the grid, however I like the
>ability of qtcsh to put specific commands into the grid.
>
>This means I can control when/where my users run the large commands, but
>I don't interfere with people simply using the same shell to read reports.
>
>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Chris Croswhite wrote:
>

>>or you could change this globally so instead of using csh/tcsh, qsh
>>would use bash
>>qconf -mq <queue name>
>>
>>and modify the shell used.
>>

>>On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 12:20, John Ross wrote:
>>

>>>Hi All.
>>>
>>>I'm wondering if there's a way to change the shell in qtcsh from tcsh to
>>>bash.
>>>
>>>I have a number of users who run some a number large processes. I would
>>>like to use the features of qtcsh, but my users are familiar with bash -
>>>and I don't want to have them setup their environments again and get used
>>>to a new shell.
>>>
>>>At the same time, I would rather not have to have them use qsh, or qlogin.
>>>
>>>Is it possible to simply change the shell that qtcsh uses?

Shannon V. Davidson <svdavidson at swbell.net>
Senior Software Engineer           Raytheon
636-479-7465 office        443-383-0331 fax