[GE users] High and Low Priority Queues.

Rajeev Mishra rajeevrmishra at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 13:52:49 BST 2004

We have 16 Linux dual processor machines on a cluster and our requirement is to make two queues on same 16 machines.

1. High Priority queue (high_pri)

2. Low priority queue  (low_pri)

All the 16 machines are dual CPU and I have defined 2 slots for each machines. High_pri cluster queue includes all the 16 machinces so it has 32 slots. low_pri cluster queue only includes 5 machines out of 16 machines (12,13,14,15 and 16) so it has 10 slots.

In this case last 5 machines (12,13,14,15 and 16) got 4 slots each (2 from high_pri and 2 from low_pri).

I have put load threshold on each machine so a machine is not overloaded at any given time. But the kind of jobs we are running on this cluster uses cpu only when a job is doing computation. There are cases when a 4 processor job is running on
two different machines (say machine #13 and #15 using 4 slots on hig_pri queue) and it is not doing computaton (Load on both the machines is ver low) and now another user submits a new 4 processors job in low_pri queue then SGE assigns assigns machine # 13 and # 15) for the new job.

Now both the jobs suffers, when the job #1 submitted thru high_pri queue starts iterating as both the dual processors machines have 4 processes running on each machine. (2 from hig_pri and 2 from low_pri)

My questions are.

1. Is there a way I can define that on last 5 machines the effective number of slots are   just 2 so a machine does not accept  4 jobs at a time (2 from high and 2 from low).

2. I also made low_pri queue as a subordinate queue for high_pri queue. It does suspend the queue when max slots are filled  in high_pri queue but it does not suspend running jobs on low_pri queue. Is this by design ? or I am missing something  here.

Thanks in advance.

- Rajeev