[GE users] setting halftime value for 6.0u1 sharetree?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Sep 3 17:08:27 BST 2004

Hello,

I'm setting up a simple sharetree where I want to have a very rapid
halflife value so that the scheduler only looks at usage over the past
hour rather than trying to 'balance the scale' over days, weeks or months.

The manpage for sched_conf claims that the halftime parameter is of type
"time" and goes on to say that type time is described in the manpage for
  queue_conf.

The queue_conf manpage goes on to list the various ways you can list a
time value -- bare integers are treated as "seconds" and colons are the
delimiters for hours, minutes and seconds.

However I can't enter a value of "1:0:0" or "1::" as a param to halftime
when I do a 'qconf -msconf' command. The error says:

> error: error parsing unsigned long value from string "1:0:0"
> can't read configuration: can't parse config

If I had to guess I'd say that halftime parameter is measured only in
seconds and that I just have to list the appropriate integer there.

Is this correct? Are there any pittfalls for a sharetree with such a
short halftime (1 hour) ?

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting