[GE users] SGE 6 wait_waiting_time guidance?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Sep 3 17:24:51 BST 2004

I'm working on a 120+ node cluster of Apple G5 Xserves where the
exepcted usage mix is probably going to involve jobs with runtimes
varying from minutes to weeks.

One of the coolest new SGE 6 features is the urgency scheduling policy
and also the weight_waiting_time parameter which seems purpose-built to
solve some of the job starvation issues seen in 5.3.

I'd like to start experimenting with adjusting the urgency policy and
the weight_waiting_time parameter to boost long-pending jobs up in
priority.

Any advice or impressions from people already doing this? What are some
good initial values for weight_waiting_time and weight_urgency?

Regards,
Chris