[GE users] SGE 6 wait_waiting_time guidance?

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Sep 7 15:51:06 BST 2004

Currently resource reservation only seems usable from an efficiency and
resource utilization standpoint if users of the system are able to
determine ahead of time what their expected runtime will be.

Few, if any, of the clusters I work on have users who are able to
predict runtimes for their jobs.

I know that I can configure a default time parameter for cases where
users do not enter an expected time as part of their reservation but
this approach seems prone to problems & inefficient cluster utilization.

-Chris

Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG - Software Engineer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> to get around job starvation, have a look at the resouce reservation. It
> will help you to prevent
> starvation much more, than the weight_waiting_time parameter.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephan
>
> Chris Dagdigian wrote:
>

>> I'm working on a 120+ node cluster of Apple G5 Xserves where the
>> exepcted usage mix is probably going to involve jobs with runtimes
>> varying from minutes to weeks.
>>
>> One of the coolest new SGE 6 features is the urgency scheduling policy
>> and also the weight_waiting_time parameter which seems purpose-built
>> to solve some of the job starvation issues seen in 5.3.
>>
>> I'd like to start experimenting with adjusting the urgency policy and
>> the weight_waiting_time parameter to boost long-pending jobs up in
>> priority.
>>
>> Any advice or impressions from people already doing this? What are
>> some good initial values for weight_waiting_time and weight_urgency?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chris

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net