[GE users] SGE 6 wait_waiting_time guidance?

Stephan Grell stephan.grell at sun.com
Tue Sep 7 16:27:42 BST 2004

Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Currently resource reservation only seems usable from an efficiency
> and resource utilization standpoint if users of the system are able to
> determine ahead of time what their expected runtime will be.
>
> Few, if any, of the clusters I work on have users who are able to
> predict runtimes for their jobs.
>
> I know that I can configure a default time parameter for cases where
> users do not enter an expected time as part of their reservation but
> this approach seems prone to problems & inefficient cluster utilization.

Not realy. The scheduler evaluates and recomputes the reservations in
every scheduling run. If jobs run shorter, than expected, the free
resources will be considert for
the reservations. If applicable, a reservation job will take the open
space. If not, it will be used for backfilling. The same is true for
jobs, which exceed their default run
time. It wil have no effect on the cluster utilization, but on how good
the scheduler can make the reservations.

Stephan