[GE users] Another shell for qtcsh

John Ross jhr at fenks.org
Tue Sep 7 22:51:40 BST 2004

Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the bash source, and it didn't
look like it was a trivial task to add in grid capabilities. (And I'm not
fluent in C)

I was however able to come up with another solution. Not quite as elegant,
but it does work.

I created a file that contains:

	alias uptime='gexec uptime'
	alias ls='gexec ls'

	gexec()
	{
       	 echo "executing '$1' on the grid...."
       	 qrsh $*
	}

... then I ensure that my users source that file when they login.

This gives functionality similar to qtcsh where individual jobs (As
opposed to the entire shell) is submitted to the grid.

If any one else is looking for a grid'ed version of a specific shell,
hopefully something similar to this will work for you.

Thanks again for the replies.

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Andreas Haas wrote:

> Well, yes and no.
>
> qtcsh actually is built from tcsh sources plus some enhancements
> to provide means for starting commands found in qtask file via
> Grid Engine qrsh. Thus tcsh can't be replaced.
>
> But there is no reason for not grabbing bash sources and patch
> them accordingly for getting a new qbash command. If you're
> interested in investigating how tcsh is enhanced just have a
> look into directory source/3rdparty/qtcsh and do a
>
>    grep sge_ *.c
>
> I see no reason why existing sge_ functions should not work in
> a bash binary.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, John Ross wrote:
>
> > Hi All.
> >
> > I'm wondering if there's a way to change the shell in qtcsh from tcsh to
> > bash.
> >
> > I have a number of users who run some a number large processes. I would
> > like to use the features of qtcsh, but my users are familiar with bash -
> > and I don't want to have them setup their environments again and get used
> > to a new shell.
> >
> > At the same time, I would rather not have to have them use qsh, or qlogin.
> >
> > Is it possible to simply change the shell that qtcsh uses?
> >

> > --
> > John Ross
> > jhr at fenks.org
> >
> > There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
> > Right next to the mashed potatoes.
> > 	- Billboard ad for Saskatoon Restaurant
> > 		Greenville, SC

John Ross