[GE users] share tree fairness with different sized jobs

Sebastian Stark stark at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Sep 8 14:43:39 BST 2004

I have 32 queues, one for each host. Each queue has 2 slots.

Then I have two users with pending jobs. One has 1000 jobs waiting with very
little memory requests (say, 100M), the other one has 10 jobs waiting with
much more memory needs (say, 2.7G, which is all thats available).

What happens now is that the 10 jobs of the latter will not be scheduled until
the 1000 jobs of the former are finished.

I guess this happens because two of the smaller jobs can "share" one machine
and use both slots in a queue. As soon as one of them is finished the
scheduler dispatches a suitable job onto the free slot, which obviously is
one of the smaller ones again. It nevers waits for BOTH jobs in a queue to
complete in order to be able to run one of the big jobs.

But I want the scheduler to be fair in that case as well. For now the only
solution for me seems to manually put a hold on some jobs once in a while.

Someone with a better idea?

I use SGEEE 5.3p5 with share tree scheduling.

-Sebastian

--
Sebastian Stark -- http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/~stark
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics