[GE users] Best method to upgrade from 5.2.x to 5....

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Sep 13 19:18:59 BST 2004

> Are all the files in "default" path compatible?  Can I install a 5.3p6
> version and simply copy over the default directory structure and restart?
> Or do I need to reinstall all queues from scratch?

why not upgrading to 6.0? But anyway, let's assume you share the CODINE
directory via NFS. What about creating a new directory sge, install the new
version there and use a different combination of ports for the new
installation? Then it should be possible to have two installations on one
server. Depending on the sourced file during login you use one or the other.
After adjusting the /etc/exports (to have both during the upgrade) you can
switch one node after the other to the new version. Let the users submit to the
new installation only and each time a node is free you can switch it to the new
SGE - and the last node you use to run all the remaining jobs in the old 5.2.3.

I don't have 5.2.3 handy, but as far as I remember, the services were also
could different (codine_commd, or was it already sge_commd?).

Cheers - Reuti