[GE users] Memory hard limit seems to be ignored on sge 5.3p5 version

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Sep 14 10:28:35 BST 2004

Quoting Andreas Haas <Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM>:

> You might look into "RESOURCE LIMITS" section of queue_conf(5) ;)

this is the documentation, but not the behavior I observed. On LINUX at least
h_vmem will set the ulimits, all at once (only s_vmem/h_vmem in queue
definition set):

$ o tt.sh.o6207
core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 512000
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 512000
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) 512000

core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 512000
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 512000
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 7168
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) 512000

In the source of setrlimits.c of the shepered:

#  if defined(RLIMIT_VMEM)
   rlp.rlim_cur = s_vmem;
   rlp.rlim_max = h_vmem;
   pushlimit(RLIMIT_VMEM, &rlp, trace_rlimit);
#  elif defined(RLIMIT_AS)
   rlp.rlim_cur = s_vmem;
   rlp.rlim_max = h_vmem;
   pushlimit(RLIMIT_AS, &rlp, trace_rlimit);
#  endif

Will SGE create any signals, when these limits are set anyway? I only had I
short look at the source, but I just saw for LINUX 64 bit limits are set if
TARGET32_BIT is defined. Is this OK? Please guide me, if I'm completely on the
wrong way.

Cheers - Reuti