[GE users] Memory hard limit seems to be ignored on sge 5.3p5 version

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Sep 14 12:19:18 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 11:53, Andy Schwierskott wrote:

> That's a good question. I assume the following:
>
>     - data seg size cannot be bigger than virtual memory
>     - stack size cannot be bigger than virtual memory
>     - max user processes is a kernel limit (not set by SGE anyhow)

On Linux, limits can be set in set in /etc/security/limits.conf
or by using ulimit

>     - pipe size s a kernel limit (not set by SGE)
>     - open files is a kernel limit

Per-process open files limit set by 'nofile' in ulimit / limits.conf

The system-wide maximum open files is set using sysctl,
the parameter is fs.file-max
(or you can just poke it into /proc/sys/fs/file-max)
The default is as you say a kernel limit.

Sorry if this is teaching everyone to suck eggs.