[GE users] number of CPUs limit per user

Dave Stirling dcs at et.byu.edu
Tue Sep 14 19:03:36 BST 2004

All,

I've been attempting to configure GridEngine to limit the number of CPUs a
user can be using at any one time, independent of the number of jobs
running, the number of processors per pe job, and the number of pending
jobs the user has submitted.  I found this question from earlier in the
Summer
(http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=19156&listName=users)
but the only response
(http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=19158&listName=users)
did not answer my question, because I do not want to specify a maximum
number of slots in a pe submission, just the number of slots in use
overall.  For example, I'd like to prevent a single user from occupying
more than 96 processors at a given time, but I don't care if that user is
running 96 single-processor jobs or one 96-processor pe job (or anything
in between).

Dave Stirling
Supercomputing Administrator
Ira & Mary Lou Fulton Supercomputing Center
Brigham Young University
email: dave_stirling at byu.edu