[GE users] Best method to upgrade from 5.2.x to 5....

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Wed Sep 15 10:35:43 BST 2004

Rod,

>> Why not upgrading to 6.0?
>
> I'm always very nervous about upgrading to any ".0" release.  I'd rather
> let the bugs shake out for awhile.  Is there anything fixed in 6.0 that
> was a serious problem in 5.3p6?  I don't need the new features I've read
> about.

Well, we are already at 6.0u1 which would be called 6.0.1 from other
vendors;-)

The cluster queues are cool in my opinion and the "urgency" policy allows to
setup a really simple priority scheme to mimic the "priority queues" concept
in other queueing systems.

Since a couple of things changed between 5.2 and 5.3 and again to 6.0 I
think it's not worth to migrate two times.

I think many users have 6.0 in production - I hope they can confirm that the
current release is production ready (check Issuezilla). Not to forget what
would happen if nobody would upgrade to a new release!

>> What about creating a new directory SGE...
>
> I'm already doing this to test the new version, and it may be the way we
> go.  However, its more complicated because we will have to manage a fixed
> set of software licenses between the two installations until all are
> running on the new one.

That more or less the only possibility. Run old jobs in the old cluster,
close the queues and open the new cluster.

Andy