[GE users] priority and nice

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Sep 16 09:56:11 BST 2004

Hi Cedric,

> I installed sge on a parc of 60 workstations. This are _workstation_
> meaning that people use them to edit text, browse the web and do some
> compilations work.
>
> And some users will have to launch 400 tasks which will take about 20
> hours each. And I'm wondering how to do to set the nice to 20 by sge so
> the main user of the workstation where this tasks compute will not be
> ennoyed because the workstation slow down.
>
> Tell me if, this is the good solution, and if so how can I achieve this.

you can still set the priority in a queue definition to 19 in 6.0 by setting
the reprioritize_interval to  00:00:00. If you have machines with one or two
CPUs (as I assume for your workstations) the scheduling can't make much of it
anyway - (in contrast to a SMP machine with 64 CPUs).

Cheers - Reuti