[GE users] Upgrade with accounting file

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Sep 16 11:34:06 BST 2004

Hi,

> On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 10:01, John Hearns wrote:
>> I plan to transition a cluster from 5.3 to 6.0
>>
>> Is it possible to take the existing 5.3 accounting file,
>> and copy it into $SGE_ROOT/default/common  for the 6.0 SGE_ROOT?
>> Classic spooling.
>>
>> The jobseqnum should work, its just a file with a single integer.

You can force (an empty SGE cluster) to begin with any job id by editing
the "jobseqnum" file in the qmaster spool directory and restart qmaster.

>> I would have to change 5.3 to 6.0 in the acconting file,
>> and s/none/NONE/
>> Has anybody tried this?
>
> I didn't do the actual copy.  However, I have used 'qacct -f' from SGE
> 6.0 on my accounting file from 5.3 without any problems.  So I'd say
> there's a good chance just copying the file over should work for you.

You can try with the new qacct command

    qacct -f <filename>

whether it works. The upgrade procedure of 6.0 (from 5.3) does not modify
the accounting file, so it *should* work. Older accounting file (e.g from
5.2) need to be modified - See in a 5.3 distribution how it was done:

    $SGE_ROOT/util/update_commands/accounting.awk

Andy