[GE users] SGE 6.0u1 auto-installation

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Sep 23 03:57:15 BST 2004

Hi Bernard,

I've been using the SGE 6.0 autoinstallation system quite a bit
recently. It is template driven and requires that you have a working
passwordless rsh or ssh method already set up cluster wide. It's good
for a quick default install and that is about it.

A big downside is that when the autoinstallation fails, it fails quietly
without logging any info to the screen and only a small bit of STDOUT
type info to files in various locations. Debugging is quite painful
sometimes as the template is very very picky. I can send you a  working
template config file if you need to see a known good example for a large
cluster.

 From memory... this is the syntax to install just the exec hosts using
the template driven process in SGE 6:

./inst_sge -auto -x ./path-to-config-template

There is a basic template you can use located in
$SGE_ROOT/util/install_modules/inst_template.conf

-Chris

Bernard Li wrote:

> Hi list:
>
> Let's say I have manually configured my qmaster - is it possible to
> automatically install just the execution hosts?
>
> With v5.x, I was able to do this by executing the following command on
> all the nodes:
>
> inst_sge -x -auto -fast
>
>>From the help text on inst_sge, it sounds like if you want to do
> automatic installation, you have to do it for both qmaster and the
> execution hosts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bernard

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net