[GE users] strange OS X behaviour with 6.0u1 built from CVS 6.0u1_TAG

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Fri Sep 24 15:04:38 BST 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Andy Schwierskott wrote:

> Chris,
>
> (I assume it's 6.0u1)

Stupid question of course - should read the subject.

May be this question is less stupid:

    - did you (or can you) try the courtesy binaries? Same behavior?

Andy

> 1. Does it happen with classic spooling as well?
>
> 2. Can you check if the config gets really spooled to BDB:
>
>     $SGE_ROOT/utilbin/sol-sparc64/spooledit list SUBMITHOST
>
>   and
>
>   $SGE_ROOT/utilbin/sol-sparc64/spooledit dump SUBMITHOST:<hostname>
>

> Andy
>
>> {summary: SGE "forgets" about configured submit hosts on OS X}
>>

>> Has anyone seen symptoms like this before? Should I file an issue?
>>

>> 1- after installation things work fine
>>
>> 2- SGE is stopped, then restarted
>>
>> 3- 'qrsh' fails to work because 'this host is not a submit host'
>>
>> 4- "qconf -ss" shows that, yes, the host is a submit host
>>
>> 5- qrsh still does not work ('not a submit host')
>>
>> 6- "qconf -as" is used to re-add the host as a submit host
>>
>> 7- output of "qconf -ss" shows submit host listed *twice*
>>
>> 8- qrsh works again
>>
>> 9- SGE stopped/started
>>
>> 10- qrsh no longer works
>>

>> When I first saw this on a large Apple cluster I was willing to blame our
>> experimental config where we were using BerkeleyDB spooling to an Apple
>> XSAN filesytem shared between 4x failover shadow masters. (works great BTW
>> -- a good way to get a HA Apple SGE cluster...)
>>
>> But now we are seeing this behaviour on our Apple powerbooks with vanilla
>> configurations:
>>
>>> bvtibook:~ root# SystemStarter stop SGE
>>> Welcome to Macintosh.
>>> Shutting down Grid Engine execution daemon
>>> Shutting down Grid Engine scheduler
>>> Shutting down Grid Engine qmaster
>>> Startup complete.
>>> Hangup
>>> bvtibook:~ root# SystemStarter start SGE
>>> Welcome to Macintosh.
>>> Initializing network
>>> Starting SGE Cluster
>>> starting sge_qmaster
>>> starting sge_schedd
>>> starting sge_execd
>>> Startup complete.
>>> Hangup
>>> bvtibook:~ root# qconf -ss
>>> bvtibook.cluster.private
>>> bvtibook:~ root# qrsh hostname
>>> error: denied: host "bvtibook.cluster.private" is no submit host
>>> bvtibook:~ root# qconf -as bvtibook.cluster.private
>>> bvtibook.cluster.private added to submit host list
>>> bvtibook:~ root# qrsh hostname
>>> bvtibook
>>> bvtibook:~ root# qconf -ss
>>> bvtibook.cluster.private
>>> bvtibook.cluster.private
>>

>> This is the most interesting bit:
>>
>>> bvtibook:~ root# qconf -ss
>>> bvtibook.cluster.private
>>> bvtibook.cluster.private

Regards,
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Andy
Schwierskott

Andy Schwierskott           Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-200 (x60200)
N1 Grid Engine Engineering  Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 (x60222)
Sun Microsystems GmbH
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7       mailto:andy.schwierskott at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg          http://www.sun.com/gridware