[GE users] strange OS X behaviour with 6.0u1 built from CVS 6.0u1_TAG

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Fri Sep 24 15:49:26 BST 2004

I'll do the comparisons today to see how widely I can reproduce the
problem (berkely vs classic spooling) + (downloadable OS X binaries vs
binaries built from CVS source)

Regards,
Chris

Andy Schwierskott wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Andy Schwierskott wrote:
>
>> Chris,
>>
>> (I assume it's 6.0u1)
>

> Stupid question of course - should read the subject.
>
> May be this question is less stupid:
>
>    - did you (or can you) try the courtesy binaries? Same behavior?
>
> Andy
>

>> 1. Does it happen with classic spooling as well?
>>
>> 2. Can you check if the config gets really spooled to BDB:
>>
>>     $SGE_ROOT/utilbin/sol-sparc64/spooledit list SUBMITHOST
>>
>>   and
>>
>>   $SGE_ROOT/utilbin/sol-sparc64/spooledit dump SUBMITHOST:<hostname>
>>

>> Andy
>>
>>> {summary: SGE "forgets" about configured submit hosts on OS X}
>>>

>>> Has anyone seen symptoms like this before? Should I file an issue?
>>>

>>> 1- after installation things work fine
>>>
>>> 2- SGE is stopped, then restarted
>>>
>>> 3- 'qrsh' fails to work because 'this host is not a submit host'
>>>
>>> 4- "qconf -ss" shows that, yes, the host is a submit host
>>>
>>> 5- qrsh still does not work ('not a submit host')
>>>
>>> 6- "qconf -as" is used to re-add the host as a submit host
>>>
>>> 7- output of "qconf -ss" shows submit host listed *twice*
>>>
>>> 8- qrsh works again
>>>
>>> 9- SGE stopped/started
>>>
>>> 10- qrsh no longer works
>>>

>>> When I first saw this on a large Apple cluster I was willing to blame
>>> our experimental config where we were using BerkeleyDB spooling to an
>>> Apple XSAN filesytem shared between 4x failover shadow masters.
>>> (works great BTW -- a good way to get a HA Apple SGE cluster...)
>>>
>>> But now we are seeing this behaviour on our Apple powerbooks with
>>> vanilla configurations:

>>> This is the most interesting bit:

> Regards,
> Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
> Andy
> Schwierskott
>
> --

Chris Dagdigian, <dag at sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting
Office: 617-665-6088, Mobile: 617-877-5498, Fax: 425-699-0193
PGP KeyID: 83D4310E iChat/AIM: bioteamdag  Web: http://bioteam.net