[GE users] LD_LIBRARY_PATH network issues

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Sep 28 07:59:58 BST 2004

Quoting John Saalwaechter <bababooey182 at yahoo.com>:

> Synopsis: LD_LIBRARY_PATH considered harmful.
>
> I?ve got some observations and questions about SGE?s
> use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> First, all of our users source $SGE_ROOT/default/common/setting.sh,
> as expected.  This script sets, or appends to, LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> On the SGEEE 5.3p6 that we?re using, the only shared library in
> the path added by SGE is libXltree.so.  A little poking around
> shows that this library is only needed by the qmon GUI program.
> I?m guessing that it?s used to render the tree diagrams in qmon.

<snip>

> and an unnecessary dependency.  To make matters worse, SGE
> automatically sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH in all grid jobs, too.  So if a job
> script is a complex shell script with lots of UNIX commands, and it?s
> submitted as a big job array, one can end up with hundreds of compute
> nodes pounding the NFS server with unnecessary NFS requests.

Won't this be chached by the kernel on the node? But anyway, to reduce the
total NFS traffic, you can put the whole SGE directory on the node and share
only the $SGE_ROOT/default/common. I do this this during the startup of each
node: copy $SGE_ROOT from a NFS mount point to the local /usr/sge (after
deleting the old version there), umount SGE and mount in
$SGE_ROOT/default/common. This way I have always the latest version there.

Cheers - Reuti